Skip to main content

Cupcakes for a crowd

L.'s company is celebrating their success and I wanted to pitch in. So i baked cupcakes. Well, mini cupcakes...a lot of them. Around 100. I did cheat though. I used cake mixes. Duncan hines devil's food and french vanilla. Each pack made about 48 mini cupcakes (with a little batter leftover). After cooling, I used the glaze by Martha Stewart.

I used the proportions here:
http://www.marthastewart.com/317440/handwritten-valentine-cupcakes-with-choc

And the method here:
http://www.marthastewart.com/282944/chocolate-glaze


  • 2/3 cup heavy cream
  • 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon corn syrup 
 
Heat cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Place chocolate and corn syrup in a small bowl. Pour hot cream over chocolate mixture, and stir until smooth.I let it stand at room temperature for a while (in fact, even refrigerated it, since it was a hot day) and then glazed the cupcakes.

One recipe was enough to glaze about 100 cupcakes. Had to double dip the white ones.

I wrote 500 in red, yellow and blue (to show the colors of inc 500) on the chocolate ones and 69 in yellow and blue on the white ones to indicate their rank.

Hope they all like it.

UPDATE: The icing smudged big time. Turns out the icing I used to write on the cupcake absorbs moisture in the fridge, so it's not a good idea to refrigerate anything decorated with icing writing, and gel colors didn't work since I had a dark glaze.

Potential solutions next time: Use tinted white chocolate (I even bought white chocolate as a backup yesterday..I think that would have totally worked). Or use white chocolate glaze and try gel colors? Not sure. Things to try next time.

Also, this only happened on one set of cup cakes. The two parameters that were different between the two sets were: The ones that dried out longer (the glaze as well as icing) didn't smudge. The ones that did also had a second coat of the glaze, which might not have set thoroughly. Or the icing didn't set before refrigerating. Either ways, was a bit embarrassing. It's ok...will try something again next time.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rasiya Muthia

The Kathiawadi in me is somehow wide awake this winter...and I crave a lot of that rustic style food - adad ni daal, Olo... I came across this recipe for Rasiya muthia and made it today. http://foodgardenandfun.blogspot.com/2009/09/rasiya-muthiya-rice-dumplings-in-gravy.html I pretty much followed the directions, and got good results, except I couldn't prevent the yoghurt from curdling slightly...and added some sugar to the recipe..but it was delicious..It's the gujarati, vegetarian version of Matzo Ball soup...super healthy and very very comforting... Here's my version for a quick reference : Mash leftover rice, salt, haldi, mirch and Besan into a dough. Do not use water (or use sparingly). Make small dumplings (I made tiny round ones). Heat some ghee, add musturd seeds, let crackle, add zeera, curry leaves and hing. Add the chaas with grated ginger, haldi, red chilli, chopped cilantro, salt and sugar. Let it come to a boil, add the muthia, cover and cook for 8-10 mins til...

Sindhi Kadhi

 Sindhi Kadhi Vegetables Carrots, tomatoes, Doodhi, Bhee, Kachalu (arbi), Suran, potatoes, Seeng, Bhindi, white peas, Guar. Method Chop and wash all the vegetables (keep potato skins on, do not peel peas). Cut bhee slanting so as to reduce fibre. In a large pot, heat oil. Add methi & jeera (1:2). Once it crackles (methi should not become dark). Add besan and roast till dark pink. When it’s about to finish roasting, add curry leaves and heeng. Then add water and stir. Add haldi and boil for a while. Now start adding vegetables in the following order: Suran, bhee, guar, finely chopped ginger, tomatoes, big pieces of green chillies, carrots, large pieces of potatoes (give small cuts in potatoes so that the spices go in). Remove the tips of green peas. Kachalu, doodhi, green peas, seeng. Add salt, kokum. Let it boil till most of the vegetables are cooked. Now add tamarind water, red chilli powder. Finally add bhindi and fresh coriander, cover and let it cook for a few more mins on ...

Veg Kadahi

 Base masala: oil+ jeera + minced onion (sauté until light brown)+ ginger + garlic (sauté for a few more minutes) + turmeric + red chilli powder + dhania jeera powder  + amchoor  (sauté for a few seconds) + tomato puree + salt and cook until tomato puree is cooked. Set aside (great base for many gravies)  Kadahi masala : on a skillet, roast some whole coriander seeds, cumin seeds, whole black pepper, fennel seeds and a couple of Kashmiri red chillies. Cool, grind coarsely and set aside.  Veggies: make cauliflower florets, cut small potatoes into wedges, slice a carrot, chop green beans, cut green peppers into large pieces, cut shallots into big pieces, thaw some green peas and corn. Also cut up some pieces of Paneer.  Heat oil + ghee in a pan, add the carrots and potatoes and let cook for a minute. Add rest of the veggies (except paneer), and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add half of the Kadahi masala and salt and sauté for a couple more minutes. Now add the base ...