Skip to main content

Stuffed Baby Eggplant and Potatoes

I used about 12 really tiny, tender and fresh baby eggplants (no point making this dish if you can't find good ones). I also used the same number of baby red potatoes (again, important to use fresh ones). The skin was so thin, I didn't bother peeling (actually, I was feeling lazy, so just gave them a good scrub). Wash the veggies and remove the eggplant stems. make one deep slit on each one. You could make two (on either side, cris-cross), but these veggies were so small that one seemed enough.

There are different variations of the stuffing. I made two different ones in two days. Here's the one with peanuts:
For the stuffing: Combine about 2 cups fresh coconut + roast and grind about 1 1/2 cups peeled peanuts + 1/2 cup sesame seeds + 1 cup freshly chopped cilantro + 1 tbsp freshly ground ginger + 1/2 tbsp freshly ground green chilli paste + 3-4 tbsp dhania jeera powder (I used 1 tbsp home made dhania jeera and 2-3 tbs of dhania powder) +  1 tbsp turmeric powder +  1 tbsp red chilli powder (as per taste) + 1 tbsp amchur powder + 1/2 tbsp garam masala powder + 1 tbsp sugar (usually we use a lot more sugar, but this version has less) + 3/4 tsp hing (yeah..I lot of hing) + salt to taste. Mix everything properly and stuff the veggies with it.

In a shallow pan, mix about 2-3 tbsp oil + 1 cup water + 1 pinch of baking soda and swirl together and heat. Arrange the veggies snugly in the pan, and sprinkle the remaining stuffing over the top. Sprinkle some more water over the top and cover with a tight lid. Cook on medium heat till the veggies are tender (check with a knife). Sprinkle more water during cooking if required. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve warm.

Another thing to stuff is smallish onions (which I can't easily find here), and maybe add some green peas towards the end.

The second variation of the stuffing:
Coconut + cilantro + green chilli-ginger paste + dhania jeera powder + turmeric + hing + sugar (good amount) + salt.
I also added frozen Ratalu (purple yam) + frozen lilva (pigeon peas) while cooking the vegetable. Could also add peas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rasiya Muthia

The Kathiawadi in me is somehow wide awake this winter...and I crave a lot of that rustic style food - adad ni daal, Olo... I came across this recipe for Rasiya muthia and made it today. http://foodgardenandfun.blogspot.com/2009/09/rasiya-muthiya-rice-dumplings-in-gravy.html I pretty much followed the directions, and got good results, except I couldn't prevent the yoghurt from curdling slightly...and added some sugar to the recipe..but it was delicious..It's the gujarati, vegetarian version of Matzo Ball soup...super healthy and very very comforting... Here's my version for a quick reference : Mash leftover rice, salt, haldi, mirch and Besan into a dough. Do not use water (or use sparingly). Make small dumplings (I made tiny round ones). Heat some ghee, add musturd seeds, let crackle, add zeera, curry leaves and hing. Add the chaas with grated ginger, haldi, red chilli, chopped cilantro, salt and sugar. Let it come to a boil, add the muthia, cover and cook for 8-10 mins til...

Sindhi Kadhi

 Sindhi Kadhi Vegetables Carrots, tomatoes, Doodhi, Bhee, Kachalu (arbi), Suran, potatoes, Seeng, Bhindi, white peas, Guar. Method Chop and wash all the vegetables (keep potato skins on, do not peel peas). Cut bhee slanting so as to reduce fibre. In a large pot, heat oil. Add methi & jeera (1:2). Once it crackles (methi should not become dark). Add besan and roast till dark pink. When it’s about to finish roasting, add curry leaves and heeng. Then add water and stir. Add haldi and boil for a while. Now start adding vegetables in the following order: Suran, bhee, guar, finely chopped ginger, tomatoes, big pieces of green chillies, carrots, large pieces of potatoes (give small cuts in potatoes so that the spices go in). Remove the tips of green peas. Kachalu, doodhi, green peas, seeng. Add salt, kokum. Let it boil till most of the vegetables are cooked. Now add tamarind water, red chilli powder. Finally add bhindi and fresh coriander, cover and let it cook for a few more mins on ...

Take Your Indian Cooking to the Next Level

To my non-Indian friends, who enjoy cooking Indian food..It's a rather long post, but it's meant for those who dream of exotic food all day long and constantly obsess over their ingredients.... Most of you have heard of Turmeric and Garam Masala and Ghee...But here are some ingredients that I think can help step up your game. If you want to move beyond naan, and greasy curries, and understand the beauty and simplicity of simple, home made Indian food, you need to get to know these ingredients. Some of these are short-cuts, but hey, every good cook has some dark secrets. Some of these ingredients sound really scary, but be brave, and just venture into your nearest Indian grocery store to find them, and you will be rewarded with new flavor awakenings. 1. Chaat Masala: It's a mixture of spices, usually sold in small cardboard boxes. I usually buy "MDH" brand, but most brands are good. "Chaat" means  "to lick". This spice is literally lip sma...