Skip to main content

The tooth extraction special!

I've been making too many rounds to the dentist lately, and the evening before my first extraction, as I was walking around the grocery store, I was struck with a massive, irrational panic that I won't be able to eat for a long time. So I bought a lot of food, and then the morning of, I spent an hour cooking soups to get through the rest of the day.

Spinach Soup:
Heat some oil (and a small knob of butter), add chopped ginger, garlic and white onion. Saute till soft. Add baby spinach, and saute. Also add one chopped tomato, salt, and lots of pepper. Add some water and let it cook for a bit. Once cool, also add a handful of fresh mint leaves, some milk and a dash of lime. Blend using the hand blender. (The mint gives a great flavor! Thanks to Tarla Dalal)

https://www.tarladalal.com/Palak-Shorba-Punjabi-Spinach-Soup-30869r

White pumpkin and daal soup:

If I have more of this often, I bet I would lose a lot of weight. It was also delicious. In the instant pot, heat oil, add cumin, onions, ginger and garlic (heavy on the garlic). Saute till lightly brown. Add washed green mung daal, and lots of big chunks of white pumpkin (the kind used in making sambhar). Add turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt and water, and put on "porridge" mode. After it's cooked, blend with a hand blender. Eat it with some yoghurt. Super hearty (and nutritious, and tasty too!).

Papaya + Orange juice + honey + lime juice. Blend. This tastes good (but I'm not allowed acidic food now, so I'll wait another day or two, or L. will finish it).

Other ideas for days when the teeth are not too happy:
Instant oats
cream of rice
Different kinds of khichdis
khichu
seera
Garmanu
Apple sauce
hallah bread
creamy peanut butter and seedless jam
mashed potatoes
cooked sweet potatoes
Soups: Mashroom, cauliflower, butternut squash, carrot and coconut, peas, almond
Smoothies/milkshakes: banana and protein powder,  banana and peanut butter
Icecream
Smooth guacamole










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rasiya Muthia

The Kathiawadi in me is somehow wide awake this winter...and I crave a lot of that rustic style food - adad ni daal, Olo... I came across this recipe for Rasiya muthia and made it today. http://foodgardenandfun.blogspot.com/2009/09/rasiya-muthiya-rice-dumplings-in-gravy.html I pretty much followed the directions, and got good results, except I couldn't prevent the yoghurt from curdling slightly...and added some sugar to the recipe..but it was delicious..It's the gujarati, vegetarian version of Matzo Ball soup...super healthy and very very comforting... Here's my version for a quick reference : Mash leftover rice, salt, haldi, mirch and Besan into a dough. Do not use water (or use sparingly). Make small dumplings (I made tiny round ones). Heat some ghee, add musturd seeds, let crackle, add zeera, curry leaves and hing. Add the chaas with grated ginger, haldi, red chilli, chopped cilantro, salt and sugar. Let it come to a boil, add the muthia, cover and cook for 8-10 mins til...

Sindhi Kadhi

 Sindhi Kadhi Vegetables Carrots, tomatoes, Doodhi, Bhee, Kachalu (arbi), Suran, potatoes, Seeng, Bhindi, white peas, Guar. Method Chop and wash all the vegetables (keep potato skins on, do not peel peas). Cut bhee slanting so as to reduce fibre. In a large pot, heat oil. Add methi & jeera (1:2). Once it crackles (methi should not become dark). Add besan and roast till dark pink. When it’s about to finish roasting, add curry leaves and heeng. Then add water and stir. Add haldi and boil for a while. Now start adding vegetables in the following order: Suran, bhee, guar, finely chopped ginger, tomatoes, big pieces of green chillies, carrots, large pieces of potatoes (give small cuts in potatoes so that the spices go in). Remove the tips of green peas. Kachalu, doodhi, green peas, seeng. Add salt, kokum. Let it boil till most of the vegetables are cooked. Now add tamarind water, red chilli powder. Finally add bhindi and fresh coriander, cover and let it cook for a few more mins on ...

Veg Kadahi

 Base masala: oil+ jeera + minced onion (sauté until light brown)+ ginger + garlic (sauté for a few more minutes) + turmeric + red chilli powder + dhania jeera powder  + amchoor  (sauté for a few seconds) + tomato puree + salt and cook until tomato puree is cooked. Set aside (great base for many gravies)  Kadahi masala : on a skillet, roast some whole coriander seeds, cumin seeds, whole black pepper, fennel seeds and a couple of Kashmiri red chillies. Cool, grind coarsely and set aside.  Veggies: make cauliflower florets, cut small potatoes into wedges, slice a carrot, chop green beans, cut green peppers into large pieces, cut shallots into big pieces, thaw some green peas and corn. Also cut up some pieces of Paneer.  Heat oil + ghee in a pan, add the carrots and potatoes and let cook for a minute. Add rest of the veggies (except paneer), and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add half of the Kadahi masala and salt and sauté for a couple more minutes. Now add the base ...