Skip to main content

Makar Sankrant Special

This Makar Sankrant was all about tradition - well actually only food traditions..There were no kites..there was no Haldi Kumkum...but there was food...

My MIL makes carrot halwa every year..so I did. My mom sometimes makes Khichdo, so I did (actually a couple days later), and I grew up with Tilgul..so I made some of those too...

Here are the quick recipes:

Carrot Halwa:

Peel and grate carrots. Heat some ghee and saute them. Add whole milk, evaporated milk and heavy cream and keep stirring. Add sugar and keep stirring till the mixture thickens. Add cardamom, nutmeg, fried cashew, etc.

Tilgul:

The important thing to remember here is: one part "stuff" (Til, Dalia, peanuts, etc) and half part gud.
Roast one cup Til on a low flame, till nice and nutty. Roast a quarter cup each of Dalia and peanuts and break coarsely. Add some fresh cardamom powder to this dry mixture. Heat 3/4 cup gud on a low flame and sprinkle some water. When the syrup is ready (drop a ball in cold water, and if it holds shape, it's done)..add "stuff" and make tilguls or chikki.

Khichdo:

The proportion here is: one part each of Toor Daal and Faada (broken wheat). Pressure cook each of them seperately with two parts each water (so, total four parts). Mash the dal well and mix the two. Then, add the same amount of sweetener by volume (half each sugar and gud). Mix and cook everything till slightly thickened. Add cardamom, nuts, Charoli (special in this dish) and raisins. Serve hot with lots of ghee. It makes a complete meal.

(I know the proportions are confusing here...basically, I took 3/4 cup of toor dal and added 1 1/2 cups water and pressure cooked it. In a different cooker, I boiled 3/4 cup of broken wheat (Lapsi fada) with 1 1/2 cups water. This is very important, since you don't want to end up with a liquidy gooey mess. Then I mix the two in one pot, and with a big spoon, shift the whole thing to one side of the pot (kind of like a semi-circular cylinder), so that 50% of the space is empty. I fill that space with half sugar and half gud. So, basically, when you're done, it should look like a pie chart from the top, with 50% of your original ingredients, 25% sugar and 25% gud. There is no better way to do it. Many of my mom's traditional recipes are like this where the measure of sweetness is not based on the original ingredients, but based on the volume of the cooked product - and it always works..Shrikhand, Puranpoli, Sheero, Laadu...All of them...so it's worth mastering this technique)

Tilgul ghyaa and god-god bola.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rasiya Muthia

The Kathiawadi in me is somehow wide awake this winter...and I crave a lot of that rustic style food - adad ni daal, Olo... I came across this recipe for Rasiya muthia and made it today. http://foodgardenandfun.blogspot.com/2009/09/rasiya-muthiya-rice-dumplings-in-gravy.html I pretty much followed the directions, and got good results, except I couldn't prevent the yoghurt from curdling slightly...and added some sugar to the recipe..but it was delicious..It's the gujarati, vegetarian version of Matzo Ball soup...super healthy and very very comforting... Here's my version for a quick reference : Mash leftover rice, salt, haldi, mirch and Besan into a dough. Do not use water (or use sparingly). Make small dumplings (I made tiny round ones). Heat some ghee, add musturd seeds, let crackle, add zeera, curry leaves and hing. Add the chaas with grated ginger, haldi, red chilli, chopped cilantro, salt and sugar. Let it come to a boil, add the muthia, cover and cook for 8-10 mins til...

Sindhi Kadhi

 Sindhi Kadhi Vegetables Carrots, tomatoes, Doodhi, Bhee, Kachalu (arbi), Suran, potatoes, Seeng, Bhindi, white peas, Guar. Method Chop and wash all the vegetables (keep potato skins on, do not peel peas). Cut bhee slanting so as to reduce fibre. In a large pot, heat oil. Add methi & jeera (1:2). Once it crackles (methi should not become dark). Add besan and roast till dark pink. When it’s about to finish roasting, add curry leaves and heeng. Then add water and stir. Add haldi and boil for a while. Now start adding vegetables in the following order: Suran, bhee, guar, finely chopped ginger, tomatoes, big pieces of green chillies, carrots, large pieces of potatoes (give small cuts in potatoes so that the spices go in). Remove the tips of green peas. Kachalu, doodhi, green peas, seeng. Add salt, kokum. Let it boil till most of the vegetables are cooked. Now add tamarind water, red chilli powder. Finally add bhindi and fresh coriander, cover and let it cook for a few more mins on ...

Take Your Indian Cooking to the Next Level

To my non-Indian friends, who enjoy cooking Indian food..It's a rather long post, but it's meant for those who dream of exotic food all day long and constantly obsess over their ingredients.... Most of you have heard of Turmeric and Garam Masala and Ghee...But here are some ingredients that I think can help step up your game. If you want to move beyond naan, and greasy curries, and understand the beauty and simplicity of simple, home made Indian food, you need to get to know these ingredients. Some of these are short-cuts, but hey, every good cook has some dark secrets. Some of these ingredients sound really scary, but be brave, and just venture into your nearest Indian grocery store to find them, and you will be rewarded with new flavor awakenings. 1. Chaat Masala: It's a mixture of spices, usually sold in small cardboard boxes. I usually buy "MDH" brand, but most brands are good. "Chaat" means  "to lick". This spice is literally lip sma...