Skip to main content

Whose cuisine reigns supreme?

I don't like food competitions. I do watch them (and sometimes get addicted too), but I just don't think it's right. Isn't food supposed to be something that nourishes the body and the soul? Isn't every person's palet as unique as the individual? I agree that cooking is an art form too, but that's all the more reason why it should not be so competitive. I guess it started off as a friendly activity in the oriental palaces to encourage creativity of the chefs, but in its modern avatar, it does get pretty ugly sometimes. I understand that these shows are popular, and even fun, but what does it really say about the society that fosters more and more use of food fights as entertainment? There was a time when people believed that one man's food is another man's poison. It let people embrace diversity. I like my food sweet, you like it salty...what's the big fight? And what's the rush of preparing five fancy dishes under sixty minutes. Really..what IS the rush? I toally understand that like any other professional, a chef would like to show off his capabilities and show that he's really good at what he does and that he can handle all different kinds of pressures. But hello, it's food that we're talking about. I come from a culture that almost worships food. You can't do things to offend the "Annadevata" or god of foods. You worship "Maa Annapurna" (godess of mother who provides food) for giving you the ability to nourish the people who are going to eat your food. There is no place for a competition there, as far as I can think. Is food also one more medium to satiate a super ambitious modern food professionals' craving to prove supremacy over others?

On a side note, I've started noting an increase in the number of chef-centered movies in the recent times. Maybe this has something to do with with Ruth Rachael's remark about celebrity chefs. They are our new heros, since fewer people seem to think that their mom is the best cook in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sindhi Kadhi

 Sindhi Kadhi Vegetables Carrots, tomatoes, Doodhi, Bhee, Kachalu (arbi), Suran, potatoes, Seeng, Bhindi, white peas, Guar. Method Chop and wash all the vegetables (keep potato skins on, do not peel peas). Cut bhee slanting so as to reduce fibre. In a large pot, heat oil. Add methi & jeera (1:2). Once it crackles (methi should not become dark). Add besan and roast till dark pink. When it’s about to finish roasting, add curry leaves and heeng. Then add water and stir. Add haldi and boil for a while. Now start adding vegetables in the following order: Suran, bhee, guar, finely chopped ginger, tomatoes, big pieces of green chillies, carrots, large pieces of potatoes (give small cuts in potatoes so that the spices go in). Remove the tips of green peas. Kachalu, doodhi, green peas, seeng. Add salt, kokum. Let it boil till most of the vegetables are cooked. Now add tamarind water, red chilli powder. Finally add bhindi and fresh coriander, cover and let it cook for a few more mins on ...

Rasiya Muthia

The Kathiawadi in me is somehow wide awake this winter...and I crave a lot of that rustic style food - adad ni daal, Olo... I came across this recipe for Rasiya muthia and made it today. http://foodgardenandfun.blogspot.com/2009/09/rasiya-muthiya-rice-dumplings-in-gravy.html I pretty much followed the directions, and got good results, except I couldn't prevent the yoghurt from curdling slightly...and added some sugar to the recipe..but it was delicious..It's the gujarati, vegetarian version of Matzo Ball soup...super healthy and very very comforting... Here's my version for a quick reference : Mash leftover rice, salt, haldi, mirch and Besan into a dough. Do not use water (or use sparingly). Make small dumplings (I made tiny round ones). Heat some ghee, add musturd seeds, let crackle, add zeera, curry leaves and hing. Add the chaas with grated ginger, haldi, red chilli, chopped cilantro, salt and sugar. Let it come to a boil, add the muthia, cover and cook for 8-10 mins til...

instant butter paneer

 When the child is screaming hunger and you have three minutes to put something together - here's the recipe - cut the paneer in cubes. In a pan, heat some butter, add the paneer pieces, a pinch of kashmiri red chilli powder and turmetic and saute for half a minute. Open a jar of marinara or similar pasta sauce and add it to the paneer. Add a dollop of sour cream, a pinch of garam masala and a pinch of crushed kasuri methi. Mix everything and heat for another minute or so and your instance butter paneer is ready.