Skip to main content

The Chilli Paneer

This one was made from a combination of recipes...but I liked it better than any I've had so far...and people I served to seemed to like it too, so this one's a keeper..here goes:

I used 2 packs of Maya brand paneer...let it thaw at room temp for 3-4 hours. Cut each block it into 6X6 = 36 pieces. Add 1 tsp of ginger paste + 1 tsp of garlic paste + 1 heaping tsp of fresh minced garlic + a big pinch of salt, rub into the paneer and let it marinate for about half an hour or so. In the mean time, Chop 2 medium onions into square chunks. Also chop 1 1/2 green pepper, 1 red pepper, 1 yellow pepper (I used several small yellow rainbow peppers) also into square chunks. I did not use any other kind of peppers. Take about 1/3 cup of corn starch and sprinkle over the paneer. Rub with hands (preferably, do not add water) so that the cornstarch coats the paneer. The moisture from the marinade should be enough to make a dry batter. Heat oil in a big wok and add the paneer pieces in a single layer. let it cook for about half a minute and move it around till the paneer is partially cooked from all sides. Remove and set aside. I did it in two batches. Now heat up more oil in the wok, add about 2 Tbsp of minced garlic (yes, a lot!). Add the onions and the peppers and move them around (on a high flame). Cook very briefly. Then add a big splash (I think around 1/4 cup) of ching's secret dark soy sauce (works really well for this) + about 1/3 cup of ketchup (you don't want it to be tomatoey...just enough to make it slightly sweet and interesting) + a few dashes of Sriracha sauce (as per taste) + a big pinch of salt + juice of one lime + about 1 Tbsp of corn starch dissolved in water + Paneer + a big handful of chopped cilantro and move everything around in the pan, till the sauce coats the paneer. Add chopped greens of a bunch of scallions to garnish and serve warm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rasiya Muthia

The Kathiawadi in me is somehow wide awake this winter...and I crave a lot of that rustic style food - adad ni daal, Olo... I came across this recipe for Rasiya muthia and made it today. http://foodgardenandfun.blogspot.com/2009/09/rasiya-muthiya-rice-dumplings-in-gravy.html I pretty much followed the directions, and got good results, except I couldn't prevent the yoghurt from curdling slightly...and added some sugar to the recipe..but it was delicious..It's the gujarati, vegetarian version of Matzo Ball soup...super healthy and very very comforting... Here's my version for a quick reference : Mash leftover rice, salt, haldi, mirch and Besan into a dough. Do not use water (or use sparingly). Make small dumplings (I made tiny round ones). Heat some ghee, add musturd seeds, let crackle, add zeera, curry leaves and hing. Add the chaas with grated ginger, haldi, red chilli, chopped cilantro, salt and sugar. Let it come to a boil, add the muthia, cover and cook for 8-10 mins til...

Sindhi Kadhi

 Sindhi Kadhi Vegetables Carrots, tomatoes, Doodhi, Bhee, Kachalu (arbi), Suran, potatoes, Seeng, Bhindi, white peas, Guar. Method Chop and wash all the vegetables (keep potato skins on, do not peel peas). Cut bhee slanting so as to reduce fibre. In a large pot, heat oil. Add methi & jeera (1:2). Once it crackles (methi should not become dark). Add besan and roast till dark pink. When it’s about to finish roasting, add curry leaves and heeng. Then add water and stir. Add haldi and boil for a while. Now start adding vegetables in the following order: Suran, bhee, guar, finely chopped ginger, tomatoes, big pieces of green chillies, carrots, large pieces of potatoes (give small cuts in potatoes so that the spices go in). Remove the tips of green peas. Kachalu, doodhi, green peas, seeng. Add salt, kokum. Let it boil till most of the vegetables are cooked. Now add tamarind water, red chilli powder. Finally add bhindi and fresh coriander, cover and let it cook for a few more mins on ...

Take Your Indian Cooking to the Next Level

To my non-Indian friends, who enjoy cooking Indian food..It's a rather long post, but it's meant for those who dream of exotic food all day long and constantly obsess over their ingredients.... Most of you have heard of Turmeric and Garam Masala and Ghee...But here are some ingredients that I think can help step up your game. If you want to move beyond naan, and greasy curries, and understand the beauty and simplicity of simple, home made Indian food, you need to get to know these ingredients. Some of these are short-cuts, but hey, every good cook has some dark secrets. Some of these ingredients sound really scary, but be brave, and just venture into your nearest Indian grocery store to find them, and you will be rewarded with new flavor awakenings. 1. Chaat Masala: It's a mixture of spices, usually sold in small cardboard boxes. I usually buy "MDH" brand, but most brands are good. "Chaat" means  "to lick". This spice is literally lip sma...