Skip to main content

Easier Almond sponge with two frostings

This cake for L.'s Birthday started with grand plans which quickly turned into a series of shortcuts due to complete lack of energy to bake on a Friday night. It turned out to be one of the tastiest cakes I've ever made and L. simply loved it. So I figured I'm going to keep this shortcut recipe. I did end up using two frostings, which I think was worth it, since I couldn't have had the correct balance of chocolate and hazelnut flavors otherwise. I did end up winging most of the measurements though..

The cake had five main components: sponge, syrup, ganache, frosting and nuts. 

The sponge was inspired by this original version (but I ended up changing the process a lot):
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/opera-cake-230481

The Nutella frosting was inspired by this:
http://cookiesandcups.com/whipped-nutella-frosting/

For the sponge, here's what I did. Preheated over at 425 and prepared two 9 inch round pans with butter, flour and parchment paper. In a stand mixer with whist attachment, I added 2 whole eggs + 2 egg whites and whipped until frothy. I added about 2 tablespoon regular sugar and whipped until pale. Melted 2 tbsp butter and cooled. I placed a strainer on top of the bowl (this really is important), to which I added 1 cup of almond flour, 3 tbsp regular AP flour, a dash of salt, 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, and 3/4 teaspoon baking powder (I know there's no baking powder in a genoise, but hey, remember, I skipped the separate whisking of egg whites and cream of tarter business?) and strained the mixture on the eggs. Then gently folded it in. Added the cooled melted butter and folded that in as well. Divided the batter among the prepared pans and baked for about 10-12 minutes. Then the usual cooling on the wire rack, etc. You get relatively thin layers this way, but it's an almond cake, so I think it's just the right size. This sponge recipe is definitely a keeper.

Syrup: I'm completely making up these measurements: 1/2 cup water + 1/2 cup sugar. Boil till sugar dissolves. Add about 3-4 tbsp Disaronno. I could have added a bit more, but I was pouring it directly from a bottle, and didn't want to over do it.

Ganache: 1 slab ghirardeli semi sweet chocolate (I think it's 4 oz). About 1/2 cup (?) heavy cream. Microwave for 30 seconds to a minute until cream is heated through. Let it stand for a minute or so, and whisk the ganache until smooth. Keep it in the fridge for 15-20 mins until it thickens slightly. Sorry, I need to be more precise, but as I said, I was winging it.

Frosting: I used a slightly different version of Nutella (something I got it whole foods, but I don't think it was much different..it didn't have any hydrogenated oil). In the stand mixer with whisk attachment, about 2 tbsp of cool to room temperature butter, about 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, about 1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread. Whisk until everything is mixed nicely. Add about 2-3 tbsp of heavy cream (and more sugar if needed). I might have added a dash of vanilla. Or not. Whip it until you get a nice stiff consistency.  This one's a keeper too, for quick cupcake frosting.

Nuts: With your hands, roughly break down thinly sliced almonds, so you get smaller pieces.

Assembly: This is slightly unusual. I didn't know what I was doing until it all came together. For each layer brush with half the syrup. spread chocolate ganache and keep it in the fridge. Leave some ganache for the sides. Once the ganache is slightly set, spread a thick layer of the chocolate hazelnut frosting on the base layer. Add the top layer (with the ganache side up). Ice the sides of the cake with the remaining ganache. Cover the sides of the cake with almond pieces. Also bring up the almond on the outer perimeter of the cake in a ring shape. Now with a star tip, create three concentric rings of the chocolate hazelnut frosting. This is not just decorative, but it also adds to the hazelnut flavor of the cake. There will be a small circle remaining in the center. Fill it with almond pieces again. This design not only looks pretty, but helps achieve the correct almond-chocolate-hazelnut balance. Or just do what your heart pleases.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Take Your Indian Cooking to the Next Level

To my non-Indian friends, who enjoy cooking Indian food..It's a rather long post, but it's meant for those who dream of exotic food all day long and constantly obsess over their ingredients.... Most of you have heard of Turmeric and Garam Masala and Ghee...But here are some ingredients that I think can help step up your game. If you want to move beyond naan, and greasy curries, and understand the beauty and simplicity of simple, home made Indian food, you need to get to know these ingredients. Some of these are short-cuts, but hey, every good cook has some dark secrets. Some of these ingredients sound really scary, but be brave, and just venture into your nearest Indian grocery store to find them, and you will be rewarded with new flavor awakenings. 1. Chaat Masala: It's a mixture of spices, usually sold in small cardboard boxes. I usually buy "MDH" brand, but most brands are good. "Chaat" means  "to lick". This spice is literally lip sma

Badam Puri

 Reminder of childhood diwalis... Soak a pinch of saffron in about 2-3 tbsp of milk for half an hour or so. Preheat oven to 350. Mix 2 cups almond flour (ideally freshly ground, but realistically, regular store bought), 1 cup sugar, a tbsp of milk powder (optional), 1 tsp of ground cardamom powder, and the soaked saffron + milk mixture. Start kneading a dough, and add milk a small tsp at a time (this dough needs very little milk, so be careful).  Knead a relatively hard dough (although, I'm not sure if this was the best texture. Next time I might try slightly softer). Divide in two, and roll into 1/2 in ch thick disk between two parchment paper sheets. Cut with a small cookie cutter, and bake for 8-10 minutes, rotating in between until light golden spots appear. I think I might have slightly under baked them, but next time..

Jalebi and Fafda

 Fafda:  200 gm Besan (I took about 12/3 cups) - sieve (do not skip) + 1/2 tsp each of salt, papad khar, ajwain + 1 tbsp oil. In one version, I mixed hing and papad khar in water, and added that to the dough. Make a semi-soft dough with water, and knead for about 4-5 minutes. Set aside for 10-15 mins. Heat oil in a kadhai, dip the whole dough in hot oil and knead. Repeat that process a few times, and then make small, oblong shape balls. On a wooden chopping board, push the fafda with the palm of your hand, and remove it with a very thin knife in the opposite direction. Then fry on low-medium heat. Sprinkle with blak salt and black pepper powder.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OODx6IrHoYo&t=202s Jalebi:  In a small pot, add 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup water and heat until sugar dissolves. Add saffron, and let it come to boil twice. Turn off the heat, and add some cardamom powder. Set aside. In a shallow pan, heat oil for about an inch or so, and add a tbsp of ghee. In a small bowl,