Skip to main content

Methi Malai Matar

Every time I make this, I say to myself - "This is perfect for making for a crowd, since it's so quick and easy and yet Yummy"..but every time I prepare a menu for a party, I never think of this..

Hopefully having the recipe here would help..This is a slightly simplified, no-fuss recipe..hence there's no dry spice to grind etc..I also use frozen Methi (which is the only kind I get and works perfectly).

Soak a small handful of cashew nuts and a table spoon of khus khus in milk. Thow out a handful of chopped Methi leaves and squeeze out the liquid. In a pan with some oil/ghee saute the methi leaves for a couple of minutes. This helps make the final gravy less green. Remove and set aside. Thaw out and lightly cook a couple of handfuls of green peas and set aside. Roughly chop a large onion, boil it in the microwave for a minute or two, and grind into a smooth paste (along with one green chilli). You may add fresh ginger/garlic in the paste, or use ready made paste. In the same pan, heat some oil/ghee. Add cumin seeds, some whole spices such as one clove, small cinnamon stick and mace, followed by the onion green chilli paste and ginger garlic. Sauté till onion paste is on the verge of getting color. Add some plain yoghurt and cook it for a few minutes. Grind the soaked cashew nut and khus khus into a smooth paste and add to the pan. Also add milk, salt, a spoon of sugar, and a pinch each of white pepper and garam masala. Simmer for a bit. Add the methi leaves, green peas and some fresh cream and let simmer for a few more minutes. Serve with parathas or Naans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rasiya Muthia

The Kathiawadi in me is somehow wide awake this winter...and I crave a lot of that rustic style food - adad ni daal, Olo... I came across this recipe for Rasiya muthia and made it today. http://foodgardenandfun.blogspot.com/2009/09/rasiya-muthiya-rice-dumplings-in-gravy.html I pretty much followed the directions, and got good results, except I couldn't prevent the yoghurt from curdling slightly...and added some sugar to the recipe..but it was delicious..It's the gujarati, vegetarian version of Matzo Ball soup...super healthy and very very comforting... Here's my version for a quick reference : Mash leftover rice, salt, haldi, mirch and Besan into a dough. Do not use water (or use sparingly). Make small dumplings (I made tiny round ones). Heat some ghee, add musturd seeds, let crackle, add zeera, curry leaves and hing. Add the chaas with grated ginger, haldi, red chilli, chopped cilantro, salt and sugar. Let it come to a boil, add the muthia, cover and cook for 8-10 mins til...

Sindhi Kadhi

 Sindhi Kadhi Vegetables Carrots, tomatoes, Doodhi, Bhee, Kachalu (arbi), Suran, potatoes, Seeng, Bhindi, white peas, Guar. Method Chop and wash all the vegetables (keep potato skins on, do not peel peas). Cut bhee slanting so as to reduce fibre. In a large pot, heat oil. Add methi & jeera (1:2). Once it crackles (methi should not become dark). Add besan and roast till dark pink. When it’s about to finish roasting, add curry leaves and heeng. Then add water and stir. Add haldi and boil for a while. Now start adding vegetables in the following order: Suran, bhee, guar, finely chopped ginger, tomatoes, big pieces of green chillies, carrots, large pieces of potatoes (give small cuts in potatoes so that the spices go in). Remove the tips of green peas. Kachalu, doodhi, green peas, seeng. Add salt, kokum. Let it boil till most of the vegetables are cooked. Now add tamarind water, red chilli powder. Finally add bhindi and fresh coriander, cover and let it cook for a few more mins on ...

Take Your Indian Cooking to the Next Level

To my non-Indian friends, who enjoy cooking Indian food..It's a rather long post, but it's meant for those who dream of exotic food all day long and constantly obsess over their ingredients.... Most of you have heard of Turmeric and Garam Masala and Ghee...But here are some ingredients that I think can help step up your game. If you want to move beyond naan, and greasy curries, and understand the beauty and simplicity of simple, home made Indian food, you need to get to know these ingredients. Some of these are short-cuts, but hey, every good cook has some dark secrets. Some of these ingredients sound really scary, but be brave, and just venture into your nearest Indian grocery store to find them, and you will be rewarded with new flavor awakenings. 1. Chaat Masala: It's a mixture of spices, usually sold in small cardboard boxes. I usually buy "MDH" brand, but most brands are good. "Chaat" means  "to lick". This spice is literally lip sma...